Before Summer Comes, Make Sure To Hit This HVAC Summer Maintenance Check List
Summer is just weeks away, and you don’t want to spend any of it sweltering due to a broken air conditioning unit. Following these HVAC maintenance tips today to save money and avoid sweaty nights.
- Replace your AC filter. Filters keep debris out of your system, and they should be changed once a month while in active use. Starting with a clean filter will keep your system operating at its best.
- Check the thermostat. Set it on “cool” and wait. If your system doesn’t come on within the next few moments, you may need to have it repaired or replaced.
- Clean your air conditioning unit. Clean away all debris and plants that may be growing over or around it. Use a brush to remove dirt from the screens, and spray the coils with a hose. Be sure to completely power the machine off before cleaning. For window units, use a vacuum brush to clean the coils, and gently clean the fins.
- Check the condensation lines. These should run clear and clog-free to avoid expensive damage to your unit. Use a plumbing snake or industrial vacuum to clean the lines. Afterwards, you can send an algaecide or a bleach and warm water solution through the pipe for additional protection.
- Spot check the rest of your home. Inadequate insulation around doors, windows and in the attic as well as leaking air ducts can require your air conditioner to run more than needed, increasing wear and shortening its life.
Conduct these activities while the weather is cool. If you identify a problem, you will have a shorter wait time for a technician then you will in the heat of summer.