Water Heaters Are Often Overlooked as an Important Property Maintenance Item
Many common water heater problems can be repaired or addressed through proper maintenance. However, depending on the nature of the complaint, the age of your unit, and the extent of any damage, the issues may indicate that it’s time to invest in a replacement unit. Property maintenance is a big part of our business, and we wanted to put together a quick and simple guide to monitoring the condition of your water heater.
Typical water heater problems include:
- Temperature fluctuations or lack of hot water. These issues can indicate that the pilot light is out, the thermostat is set incorrectly or the heating element is broken. Each of these problems can be fixed and components replaced unless a larger underlying cause lurks.
- A noisy hot water heater. If your water heater bangs, creaks or knocks, generally you should blame sediment buildup in the tank. Flush the tank to remove the sediment. If the noises continue, your heating element probably needs to be replaced.
While the underlying causes of these problems might be repairable, sometimes a hot water heater needs to be replaced. Indications that your water heater should be replaced are:
- Water usage. The more hot water your household uses, the quicker your unit will need to be replaced.
- Water Taste. If your water has a metallic taste, your water heater is ready to be replaced.
- Leaks. Water leakage from your unit suggests that an internal component has failed.
- Age. Most hot water heaters are warranted for 10 years. Many have longer life spans. However, after your unit has served you and your Bay Area home honorably for 15+ years, seriously consider giving it a well-earned retirement and replace it.
Our General Contractors Handle Everything from New Water Heaters to Kitchen Remodeling
General contractors at BA Morrison can address all your Bay Area remodeling, heating and air-conditioning needs. We also specialize in commercial property maintenance. Our Angie’s List Super Service Award and A+ Rating with the BBB acknowledge our commitment to quality work and client satisfaction. Call us today at 510-538-9817 or send us a message from our website to discuss and plan your home projects.