Kitchen Remodeling Tips From Bay Area Contractors
Considering a kitchen makeover? If so, your vision of a seamless kitchen remodel probably involves avoiding catastrophes before, during and after the process is complete, right? For instance, you don’t want to see the new tile crack or pop apart, or that custom cabinet’s wood split from poor manufacturing, or even worse, a contractor who takes the deposit and promptly disappears.
Any sort of kitchen remodeling project can easily present you with such disasters or dilemmas, that’s why we are here to show how NOT to do a remodel. Here we’re going to look at ten things you might do during your East Bay kitchen remodeling project that could end up causing you big trouble.
10 Things NOT to do During a Kitchen Remodeling Project
- Refusing to hire a General Contractor – It’s not as simple as many think, and no one has the kind of time, knowledge and connections necessary to make it work, plus it could actually be illegal!
- Accepting bids with only vague specs – A good general contractor will never bid on anything vague, but you shouldn’t be handing such specs out in the first place. The more details you provide, the more accurate the bids and the fewer surprises later
- Not setting fixed goals – It is amazingly easy to get distracted or off-track when planning a kitchen. You see something cool and think, “Ooh, let’s add that”. If it is not part of the original goal (i.e. more efficient, less cluttered, more modern, and so on), don’t give it any attention
- Neglecting to take time to find the best General Contractor – Hiring a general contractor is all well and fine, but did you screen more than one or two? Did you do the due diligence? You could be lining yourself up with a dud if you don’t take time to find someone who has a good background, references and feels right.
- Giving them all of the money – If you hired a Bay Area general contractor and then forked over the entire sum estimated on the project, you are asking for a disaster. The right amount? 30% and nothing more.
- Thinking of what others would want – You know that phrase, “keeping up with the Joneses,” right? If you are doing a kitchen remodel, make it YOURS and not THEIRS. You are the one who will live with it, pay for it, and use it.
- Going too much in any direction – Don’t “settle” but don’t get too crazy with customization. Look for meeting your vision AND your budget.
- Changing your mind…repeatedly – One of the worst mistakes is to think that a big change is only going to cost you the materials. There is time and that is a huge expense. Make your decisions early on and stick with them.
- Skimping on quality – A lot of remodels are not a good outcome because the owner skimps on things like hinges, cabinet bases, and so on. Even if you never see something, you’ll experience its failure!
- Not remodeling – This is the biggest mistake, and if you are just going to “live with it” because it is too hard to change it, you’ll miss out on the true joy of a great kitchen.
Contact Our General Contractors At B.A. Morrison to Start Your Remodel
At BA Morrison, you will find expert Bay Area building contractors you can trust. You will work with experienced construction, remodeling and HVAC contractors happy to tackle your kitchen remodel no matter how big or small. Contact us online today to get started.